Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A note on Free Speech

We have freedom of speech here in Taiwan, sorta the same as the US but not exactly. Anyways I am more or less free to say whatever I want, and I do, and this is helped by the fact that 99% of the people here have no idea what I am saying anyways. I tend to speak my mind and just say whatever I think, which gets me in trouble and offends people, but also can be successful at times. This has actually helped me at work, despite my sometimes criticism of the place. However, instead of just criticising, I also include practical suggestions on how to fix or improve the said problem, and my boss likes this. Now my buddy was not so lucky, he was fired for the same thing. He saw a kid with a black eye, and asked what was wrong, and it turns out Daddy beats him if he gets less than 95% on his test. OK, so believe me when I say the Taiwanese education system is strict, and there is a lot of pressure on these kids. Anyways, so he posted this disturbing news on his blog, they found out, and they fired him over it, cause it looks bad for the school (loss of face). Now you say thats terrible, but couldn't this happen in the US too? If you put some sensitve info that your company doesn't want out there in the public domain, mightint they fire you too? Possibly. So anyways, I tend to edit myself a lot in this blog, well aware that it is in the public domain, even though probably only 3-4 people read it (you know who you are). I tend to keep it "G" rated and not covering any racy or sensitive material. Why?
It's not that I am afraid of losing my job. It's just to protect the guilty, and I include myself in their number. Rule #1: don't incriminate yourself. Now, dear reader, you say, "well then, what am I missing? All the good stuff? All the dirt? The answer is yes. So what to do? I have been seriously considering writing a book with all the good parts included, under a psuedonymn of course. Then I am safe, you can get all the good parts, and I can make a buck. Everybody wins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home