Saturday, September 08, 2007

Blink and Wink


I have been reading a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Blink". His major premise is that our subconscious is very powerful and actually very often (like maybe 80%) of the time makes and instant snap judgement of a person or situation that is absolutely correct. However our conscious mind doesn't trust is, so we think about it, and mull the problem over, sometimes for a long time, however all this does is actually confuse us, and the first judgment is usually right. He goes on to give numerous examples. Anyways, I have seen this happen to me many many times in my life, where my "gut" instantly told me what to do, but then I thought about it, and ended up doing something else, which was not always the wrong thing, but usually not as good as the first instinct. So basically trust your gut instinct and you will go far. I am going to try to apply this to my life.

Wink. OK, so what does wink have to do with it? Well last night I was talking with some friends about the act of winking. Specifically when a man winks at a woman in a sexually suggestive way. And we discovered that the proximity of the two parties is directly related to how effective the wink is. For example, if the man and woman are kind of far apart, like across the bar, the wink is more effective, because it makes a connection, and shows that "hey, I may not be right next to you, but I am thinking about you". This seems to be more effective (of course you first have to presume that the two parties have some mutual attraction). The woman feels a connection, and has a hope for an encounter soon. But in close proximity the wink is not effective. Usually the girl just laughs at the guy, and says "what are you doing?". So keep this in mind in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home