Monday, October 09, 2006

Taiwan Nazi party





Yes, Taiwan has a Nazi party, but its not as bad as it seems.
On holiday with my girlfriend I came across this sign. She translated and told me that it is just a finger wax sculpture making tent. People dip there fingers in wax and get a little mold. Apparently the Chinese word for this sounds similar to thr Chinese word for the Nazi Party, thus the tranlation. Innocent enough, but also scary. Ignorance can be a dangerous thing. If only my Chinese was better, I could tranlate! Arrgghh! (Hahaha, yeah in ten years). The other disturbing thing is the reverse swastika symbol, which is all over Taiwan. It is an ancient Buddhist symbol that the nazis stole, but is entrenched in my mind and (most westerners) as the Nazi symbol. That one I will just have to learn to live with.

1 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Patrice said...

I remembered that you were kind of mad that day because of the sign "Nazi Party". But forgive our Taiwanese people, we don't read English and no 'speakie' English and we make the mistake. No offense!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home