Friday, October 06, 2006

Temples in Tainan

Still being poor, I do not yet have a scooter. However, my girlfriend rode her scooter up here Kaohsiung this weekend for the Holiday (Autumn moon festival) so we went out and took some pictures of Temples. Tainan has many great temples compared with other places in Taiwan. The detailed artwork is especially intiguing. Although as a Westerner who has studied Buddhism, I find all the rituals dissapointing. Burn incense and pray to Buddha. Isn't it really the same as praying
to Jesus or any other "God"? Buddha specifically says "do not worhip me like a God". Anyways,
after seeing the mundane, often ugly architecture, and street chaos in Taiwan, the temples
are a refreshing sight.

Kaiyuan Temple, with high rises behind. Notice any contrast?


I wasn't the only person interested in taking photos today. It made me feel a little better.
It's always a good sign if the locals are doing it I am not horribly desecrating the temple by taking pics.


Some interesting writings. My girlfriend tells me this says the temple has been here foe over 100 years.
















This tree is also 100 years old









The front gate of the temple















Your fearless author, practicing Tai Chi with the Gods.




My girlfriend poses with our jolly green friend.


















The Nazis stole the swastika symbol from the Buddhists. It is thousands of years old and symbolizes the turning of the seasons, or the wheel of life. Unfortunately it is still disturbing to see it, because in the west we are so conditioned to associate it with the Nazis.









Some cool dragons go at it.

A sign in English! I wish I could read the poems on the wall that it is talking about.










A Lion protects the entrance to the gate.




The entrance to an interior temple. Taiwanese people will go inside and donate money,
burn incense, and pray for a bit, asking for success in business, marriage, etc.














A lucky lion. In the future I will visit more places so stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home